Monday, August 30, 2010

Valley Laneway Markets: Pannikin's Return!

I returned to California Lane on Sunday 29th August to hold another stall at the Valley Laneway Markets, and even though it was a much slower day, I still had a lovely time chilling out with Tom and getting to know my stall-neighbours.

(On my left side was Rachael, who makes pretty earrings, clips and headbands from lace, ribbon, buttons and beads. On my right side, the super sweet Bianca, who not only has incredible art skills but also an enviable bunch of suitcases, filled to the brim with vintage and retro clothes, shoes and records for you to sift through. I bought the coolest turban from her - it makes me feel like some kind of crazy mix of 70's flowerpower-gypsy-housewife!

(PS. The blouse is from another wonderful lass by the name of Kiara Notaras, who makes the sweetest purses from repurposed material and shared a stall at the VLM with her fiance, artist Angus Wheelan (who paints, creates mixed media artworks and is equally wonderful). You can catch the pair selling fun things at Suitcase Rummage, Sunday 5th September.

During the lead-up to the market, I managed to find time to sew up 10 brand-spanking new clip-on bowties! These are made from a variety of thrifted fabrics taken from vintage dresses, linen, ties, pillowcases and my personal stash of Japanese quilting fabric and other fun remnants.
My outfit that day included a bowtie I had created for myself from a length of wide, pink velvet ribbon. Since I have started making these, I have amassed a collection of more than 10 handmade bowties to add to my stash of 6+ thrifted ones.
On Wednesday I dedicated my time (roughly 7 hours from start to finish, no stopping!) creating a mix of 35 hand-illustrated plastic brooches and, drumroll please...rings!


I am particularly fond of the cute teeth and moody cloud rings. Oh and the mini teacup rings for the little ladies. And for the 'tuff kids', the skull brooch (which is similar in design to my 'Dinner Date with Death' postcard illustration.
I aim to create a few new embroidered badges for my next market - are there any special requests? I will do my very best to accomodate them!

Be sure to pick up some flyers from my stall, as well as business cards so we can keep in touch! The VLM flyer has a very handy and simple to understand map of the 3 different laneways you can visit, and the pink BrisStyle flyer has every market date for the rest of the year!

Oh, and don't forgot to sign up to the Pannikin newsletter interest form! I'll be sending off newsletters very soon, when I catch up with a few things that are on my to-do list. Until then, please keep your eye on the Pannikin blog, facebook and twitter for updates!
The stall, all set up and complete with bunting and the ever-so-helpful companion, Tom!
Thanks to everyone who came along on the day, you are what make these markets happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment