Sunday, September 5, 2010

BrisStyle Indie Market Wrap Up!

Hallo!
I was so keen to blog about the BrisStyle Indie Designers Market as soon as I arrived home Saturday afternoon, but by the time I got to my 'little nest' all I could think about was a ginormous feast followed by a nice big sleep.

So here I am, Monday morning, blogging my heart out about not one but two markets from the weekend! Market number two was Suitcase Rummage on Sunday, and boy am I glad the rainy weather didn't scare away the rummagers!

But first, let me tell you about Saturday's adventures.

6am saw me waiting with my two trollies for the 300 bus to Hamilton, where the BiDM was located. By 7am I was panicking because none of these buses went by - I checked the timetable and silly me forgot it was Saturday! The next bus came at 8am. What a wait! Listening to the Melvins at max volume on my phone helped calm me down.

I arrived at around 8:20am, frazzled and shaky - setting up a market stall quickly is a wee bit hard for an almost-perfectionist. Especially when you have 300+ badges plus other items to organise into specific spots. I was lucky to have the helping hand of one of the ladies set up next to me (I have forgotten your name, but thank-you ever so much for helping me with the tablecloth, bunting and balloons!)

But all was well as I finished putting up the finishing touches on my stall, all by 9am!
From there it was such an enjoyable day. I was a wee bit worried that the weather would scare away a lot of market goers, but it seems not many were put off by a spot of drizzly rain or wind. My heart goes out to those who were set up outside and had to keep chasing fly-away stock and displays.
I met such a wonderful group of people and had a marvellous time. One lady was particularly impressed by Pip, my display doll. A little research that evening (with a few ideas to origins and names from Helen Berthold) reveals that little Pip is actually a Patch doll from the 1960's! She was the little sister to the popular Sindy dolls from the same decade and man they are the cutest things. I wish I had ALL of their clothes! I found Pip in an opshop in West End - she stuck out like a sore thumb amongst all the other toys so I took her home for the small price of $2.
At some point during the day, I managed to find a spare minute to skip over to Enticing Icing to buy the biggest (and possibly the most delicious) chocolate chip cookie I have ever seen. It was the size of a pancake!

It's almost sad packing up after a BrisStyle market - you have so much fun during the day you wish you could hang out and talk with everyone for the rest of the afternoon, but come 2pm I had become super worn-out and all I could think about was a big nap after I hauled my gear back home.

So a big thanks to everyone who came along to the BrisStyle Indie Designers Market and braved the iffy weather. Also, thanks to those designers who stopped by my stall to have a chat; you really made my day.

Here are a few more piccies from the day:

No comments:

Post a Comment